San Francisco, California 94104
Apply Now - Let them know you saw it on GameGuzzler!
The Technical Director oversees technical design and reports to the Vice President of Engineering to manage the implementation for all phases of development and providing team programming support. You are accountable for ongoing assessment of technology needs and deploying sufficient resources to meet agreed upon objectives, schedules and budgets at the highest level of quality. The individual works with team leads to do proper risk analysis and mitigation and will be required to perform hands-on programming work as necessary.
What the Technical Director of Game Engineering gets to do every day:
- Work with other department leads to assess the viability of development projects for our games teams, participating as necessary, and analyzing technical pipelines, process, planning, and staff to create a complete evaluation.
- Regularly review milestone deliverables at their various phases, with special attention to technical design documents and programming schedules for projects. Monitor and track milestone progress for multiple assigned projects as the situation warrants.
- Advise Production team on most sensitive time, budget, technical staffing, and software functionality trade-offs.
- Provide input to lead developers on the practicality of initial design goals and style.
- Participate in performance profiling, optimization, programming and general troubleshooting as necessary.
- Identify tools, programs, 3rd party software and/or hardware that could be helpful to our studio and make recommendations as necessary to achieve the business goals.
- Participate in prototyping meetings to provide technical perspective and advise senior management of competitive products and new business opportunities.
What you bring to the Technical Director of Game Engineering role:
- 10+ years programming experience; 5+ years as Senior, Lead, or Manager.
- A history of developing software architecture, and a history of shipping commercially successful products.
- Demonstrated competency in several of the following specialties, with an expertise in more than one: physics, 3D graphics/rendering, game logic, AI, networking, AS3/Flash, optimization and/or game tools.
- Demonstrated knowledge of several of the following platforms, with specific programming experience of more than one: MMORPG, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC or browser based games.
- Experience with a variety of 3rd party middleware applications.
- A demonstrated command of applicable programming languages and a thorough knowledge of software design practices including modularity documentation, event-driven architecture, object-oriented design, graphics and animation techniques, interface design practices, portability, extensibility and testability.
- Demonstrated expertise in the creating of best software practices.
- Demonstrated ability to solve complex code problems efficiently.
- Demonstrated experience in building new software technology.
- Self-starter, analytical, creative, highly motivated and has a visionary spirit.
- Strong skills in terms of identifying and communicating goals and risks to management.
- Team player with strong influencing skills.
- Proven track record of success as it relates to the full lifecycle of product development, launch and revenue success.
433 California StreetSuite 1030
San Francisco, California 94104